Wednesday, January 18, 2012

past my bedtime

I find myself having an inner conflict. Yes, a conflict. There are two parts within me battling to win this fight. This battle is one that involves two distinct selves: my African self and my Canadian self (the irony is that my true blooded A-mur-ican self is dormant as usual).

oh right, is battle is about weather. So here is the thing, I die in the cold. Today, it literally felt like a frozen hell devoured my soul. But... if it snows more then there is no school. Can you guess what part the African Faith and the Canadian Faith wants?

This leads me to my second topic to talk about... (suspenseful sound effects here)

Boobs. (if you think really hard you could probably think of the connection)

I am glad that I have your attention.

One of the best thing about being in Psychology is that I get to take a course on Human Sexuality. In the first class, my professor asked a basic question, " what do men usually look at when the see women?"

Now, I am not a man (Praise Jesus) but I am not stupid (despite my horrible grammar). I was not fooled by the awkward silence in the class that was broken when a male student answered, "Their face?"

Hmmm, good one, sly kid in the front with dorky glasses surrounded by attractive female students. This answer along with others simular to it were clearly not what my prof was looking for.

So, I loudly, in a nonchalant way, declared, "Boobs!" My proffesor who is a middle aged man turns to me, lowers his eyebrows and replies "They are called breasts."

I shut up for the rest of the class, not because I felt stupid or ashamed but because I was fairly confused. Was I being disrespectful to my gender by calling breasts boobs? Is that a term that disgraces the female body? After much thought, I don't think so. I cannot think of the last time my friends and I referred to our ladies as "breasts". Maybe it is an age thing... prehaps when our grandmothers were younger and brushed their friend's money makers without meaning too, they called them accidental "breast grabs" instead of "boob grabs" (that is normal in university, right?)

Yes, I do think the word breasts is a more formal/medical term. Usually, when breasts are referred too I think of Breast Cancer or Breast feeding. I don't think I will be in a clinic anytime soon where the Doctor tells you he needs give you a check up for boob cancer or young mothers ask each other how boob feeding is going. This only produces unwanted graphic images.

Boob is a great word. How many words actually resemble their meaning. Win 1 for the double "oo's"!

1 comment:

Beautiful Consecration said...

Oh. My. Goodness. You remember how I turned all shades of red when you would say that special three letter word? This blog reminded me all over again of the differences between Lizzy and Jane. But I love it. Let's graduate to blogging? I think yes. :)