Saturday, May 7, 2016

For Pax and Arrow

Today is my first mother’s day
but my children have come and gone
leaving me a mother with no babes.
They were never born.
They never took a breath
but they were living,
their blooded pumped in tiny veins.

Twice my heart has leapt with joy
Twice my soul has mourned,
I will never hold them here on earth

Imagination has taken over
pattering feet,
laughter,
gender,
sweet voices,
eyes,
and hearts,
all that I will not know.
A mother robbed left only to dream
Of little ones she will not kiss.

“Everything happens for a reason.”
“They are with our heavenly father.”
“You’ll have a baby someday.”
I do not want reasons.
I wish I could have shown them
our beautiful world,
And seen them play with their earthly father.
Others may come, but these left holes
that cannot be filled.

My heart grieves still as my mind races
Why me?
Why both?
How could God allow this?
Where is your faithfulness God?
I cry with the psalmists,
Have I been forgotten?

My hand still reaches for them
but the spot they had their only moments is empty
and scarred.
Then my hand reaches to my heart,
the only place my children remain in me.
My God lives there too,
as love for all three pulse through me
and tears swell.
I am not alone.
This is my hope.

This mother’s day I will get out of bed.
I will hold the clothes and stuffies that bear their names.
I will cry as I seek my husband’s embrace.
Then I will try to be thankful to our God.
But I will celebrate with and for all mothers,
for the ones who have theirs to love
and those who have lost their precious ones.
I will go through my day one foot after another.

I will whisper my children’s names on my heart
And let them escape to my lips.
I will thank my God for them.
For though their lives were short,
all my love has cascaded upon them
and they have been imprinted onto me
forever.
And I will miss them,
Oh how I miss them,

My children.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh faith how I grieve with you. Sometimes I mourn my grandchildren who will never be born as I was never fornunate enough to have children.

Unknown said...

This is beautiful. Moving and touching and powerful. Thank you so much for sharing.

Alicia said...

My eyes are welling with tears, Faith. This was breathtaking. I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Faith and Colin, we are so very sad for you. It is hard to understand the ways of the Lord at times and yet we must keep hoping, trusting and believing that He is faithful and true and that He loves you, His children, very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. This was a beautiful tribute to your children - touching and heart wrenching at the same time. Thank you for sharing it.

mkelley55 said...

Faith and Colin, thanks for sharing your heart-pain with us. Our love for you and your children continues to grow.

Ursula said...

Faith, you speak my heart!! Lots of love, Ursula